Help and Guidance
Diaconal work is one of the main tasks of the church: we provide spiritual, physical and material help to those in need. Our particular aim is to reach those who need help the most and who do not receive help from anywhere else.
Diaconal work for immigrants is aimed at those who have moved to the country and examines issues related to living and everyday life together. Help is given in different life situations and also help in supporting individuals to be independent and to live a good life in a new environment.
Diaconal Work in Practice:
- Sharing information about different services and guidance.
- Assistance with agency work, appointments and filling out forms.
- Support in studying the Finnish language.
- Supporting the need to nurture one's own culture and practice religion.
- Organizing international camps and excursions.
- Cooperation to support integration with Jyväskylä's Immigration Services.
- Diaconia grants, such as food aid.
Appointment with Deacon
You can make an appointment by phone or email to different offices. The Deacon of Immigrant Work is working weekly at:
- Aseman Pysäkki, Hannikaisenkatu 29, 40100 Jyväskylä
- Sepän Kipinä, Ahjokatu 3-5, 40320 Jyväskylä
The Family Counselling Center
The Family Counselling Center offers professional counselling and support on issues related to relationships, family, and other private matters. The Working Method is a joint debate. The counselling sessions can be attended individually, as a couple, or as a family. The sessions held will be an average of 5 times. The counselling is confidential and free of charge and is available for those living in Jyväskylä or the Central Finland region.
- Contact details (in Finnish)
The University Chaplains of the Jyväskylä Parish (of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland) are for both the students and the staff of university and college. You can contact us by e-mail, phone or just saying hi when meeting on campus. With the University Chaplains you can discuss the matters that distress you. Conversations are confidential and free of charge.
Deacon of Immigrant Work